Vivekananda House, South Pasadena
In 1900 Swami Vivekananda stayed for six weeks in this house. Built before 1877, the two-story house is a good example of Victorian architecture with its gabled roof and distinctive sunburst designs.
Inside, the house has been restored to its original decor wherever possible. The bedroom where Vivekananda slept is now a sanctuary for meditation. The table at which he dined is still downstairs near the fireplace. Devotees can walk through the parlor where he spoke, the kitchen where he cooked, and stroll in the garden where he often played with the children. Each tangible reminder of the life of the Swami recalls the great principles for which he stood.
309 Monterey Road
South Pasadena, CA 91030
Phone: (323) 254-1546
Please call ahead to arrange a visit.
- From Los Angeles take the Pasadena Freeway (CA-110) and exit on Marmion Way / Ave. 64 (exit 30A)
- Follow Marmion Way which merges into Pasadena Ave.
- Go straight to Monterey Road.
- Just past the intersection, the old Victorian house is on your right.
In February, 1900, when Swami Vivekananda left the Mead’s house for San Francisco, he placed his pipe on the mantel of the fireplace saying, “This house won’t remain the same.” This casual statement of the Swami has proved true. The place where he stayed has now become a shrine and goal of pilgrimage for his admirers.
In 1900 the house in South Pasadena which has now become known as the Vivekananda House was occupied by the three Mead sisters (Carrie, Helen, and Alice), their father, two children, and a housekeeper. The sisters, having heard Vivekananda lecture in Los Angeles, invited him to stay with them as their guest. The Swami accepted and while there worked in Pasadena for about six weeks in January and February of 1900.
In 1955 the Mead house was acquired by the Vedanta Society of Southern California.
The house, now occupied by a monk of the Ramakrishna Order, is recognized as an historical landmark by the Cultural Heritage Commission.